– 3-4 cloves garlic, peeled and finely sliced
– 20 gr. butter
– 500 gr. onions, finely sliced (4-5 onions)
– 0.5 teaspoon ground cinnamon
– 0.25 teaspoon cloves
– 2 tablespoons tomato puree, diluted in a little hot water
– salt and black pepper
– 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
– 1.75 kg piece of top rump, or rolled brisket
– 4 tablespoons olive oil
– 500 gr. spaghetti, to serve
Alternatively, cook in a pre-heated oven, gas no.3/ 350 grades/ 170 grades C for 2 hours, turning the meat and the onions occasionally.
When the meat is tender, put the dish on the hob, slowly pour the vinegar over the meat and let it bubble uncovered for 5 minutes, guarding against the onions sticking. By then, there should be a deliciously reduced sauce, smooth and sweet with the melted onions. If not, take out the meat and cook the sauce, uncovered, rapidly until it is reduced. Discard the string, slice the meat and put it back into the sauce.
Cook the spaghetti until al dente. Serve immediately with the sauce over the pasta and the meat on the side.